12 years ago
We joined my family in renting a condo for a week while Nate and Pumpkin participated in the World Horseshoe tournament. The condo was pretty nice and had a building across the street that included miniature golf, swimming, tennis, basketball, pool, card/board games, racquetball, and ping pong that was all included in the condo rental.
We started out the day by checking everything out. We played some ping pong, Foosball, and pool. The kids did really good on the drive, but it was nice to get out and run around for awhile.
Afterwards we went to the park that was across the street from our condo as well. We played for awhile...
Until Connor took a big fall off of an 8 ft slide. He got nervous and backed right off the back- flipped and hit his head on the stairs and landed on the ground. It was so scary to watch. I saw him starting to do it and started to run and fell on the sand because I was trying to run so fast. I got to him right after he hit the ground. He luckily landed on his butt, but he had hit his head on the stairs and had already one huge goose bump in the back of his head and two in the front. He wouldn't stop crying. Grandma and Kierston watched Kaylee while we took Connor to the ER. It took us a minute to find the ER and I was just holding Connor in the front seat with him trying to calm him down.
They ran some tests and found out he had a pretty sore throat and ended up treating him for strep throat on top of it all. They thought it would be good to get a CT scan even though he was passing all of the neuro tests- just to make sure. I really didn't want them to sedate him- so after some time I was able to get him to sleep and he stayed asleep for the CT scan. He woke up when we strapped his head to the board and the technician was really patient and kept allowing us to sing to him and help him fall back asleep. We said a lot of quick silent prayers and he ended up staying asleep for the CT scan and didn't need to be sedated. The CT scan come back normal. It was really emotional and difficult. Connor was still asleep when they came in to give him his shot for Strep throat. The nurse had another nurse with her and came in talking loud not even paying attention to the fact that he was asleep. They wanted to hold him down but I kept telling them I would hold him. They wouldn't believe me and the other nurse grabbed his arms. I said, "let go. I will hold him. We don't need two nurses". Yep- mamma bear/nurse came out. It was already traumatic for Connor and having people hold him down just wasn't making it any easier. They finally listened and they gave the shot. We quickly left to get him home to bed. Rough first night for sure.

Post a Comment