12 years ago
Last Thursday I was feeling really good. My knees weren't hurting and I was feeling a lot stronger. It was raining outside and Kaylee just went down for a nap, so I decided to take a quick run around the block. Ahhh it felt sooo good. I love rain and I love running. I was so happy and felt really good. I then went to physical therapy later that day and was still feeling pretty good. Well that night was HORRIBLE. My knees were a 9/10 in pain. They got all swollen and nothing I did helped them. After awhile I finally fell asleep.
So the biggest problem with my knees are what is called Patellar tendonitis. It is also called "jumpers knee". This problem tends to occur in "tall skinny girls" or those that play volleyball, tennis, or runners. Since the problem occurred right after high school I assume my problem was the tennis I played in high school. And since I didn't realize that I inflammed the tendon it never got better. IT ALL FINALLY MAKES SENSE!!!!
Needless to say a simple thing as running around the block caused my patellar tendon to inflame and my physical therapist told me that "running is nowhere in my near future". He told me that this is an overuse problem so rest is the best way to treat it. I will start to feel better but if I start up exercising too early than it will just go back to what it used to be and recovery will take that much longer. He also gave me some knee straps to wear instead of taping them every visit. They help keep the pressure off of my tendon. Does this all make sense?
ANATOMY REVIEW
Patella (kneecap) is a moveable bone on the front of the knee. This bone is wrapped inside a tendon that connects the quads to the tibia (lower leg bone). Without going into too much detail there are essentially two tendons; one at the top of the knee cap and one underneath it. Tightening the quads puts pressure on the tendons which then help straighten the knee.
So the biggest problems for me causing the Patellar Tendonitis
- I initially caused it in high school playing on the tennis team and since I didn't realize that was the problem I never rested my tendon or knew what to strengthen. Which is why it would hurt off and on and never got better
- The alignment above and below my knee cap (patella) are misaligned so it puts even more pressure on the tendon surrounding the knee cap. Once my knees are well rested then I will strengthen the cartilage and tendons to help with the alignment
- Making the alignment worse my right leg is smaller than the left. I have orthotics to help but I wasn't very good at wearing them which then made the alignment in my knee even worse.
- Due to the misalignment I have what is called Patella Alta (my knee cap is above where it is supposed to be)
Ta da! I know this is probably really boring to some but it is sooooo exciting for me. The physical therapist doesn't know how long my recovery is going to take but at least we are using the word "recovery"!!! I am just soo happy!!
Post a Comment