12 years ago
Okay so I am going to be honest here.......we sometimes on occasion (almost weekly) plan our errands around lunch time so we can stop at Costco where we walk around and buy a few things but really spend a lot of time trying out samples throughout the store. The kids love it- I love it because it gets us out of the house and of course because it is practically a free lunch for the kids.
Well on one of these occasions we had gotten to our first sample table (or as Kaylee calls it "snackers") where we tried this TRIO bar. As we were walking past the table Kaylee started itching her throat and then started crying "it hurts mom, it hurts" She had scratched at her throat so much it was starting to leave marks. I gave her a drink of water thinking she had a nut stuck in her throat or something. She kept crying and asked to go home (which was weird since this was the first sample we had tried). We said a little prayer in the aisle and then went to the bathroom where she tried to spit whatever it was out.
Kaylee was so upset I picked her up and she fell right asleep in my arms (another really weird thing for her). I started to realize that she could be having an allergic reaction. To make a long story short- after crying as I talked to the pharmacist at Costco because I was worried we decided to go home and give her benadryl. I planned to have her sleep next to me so I could watch her.
When we got home I couldn't open the garage (finally figured out our power was out and the garage opener wasn't broken- though it took me awhile) and unlocked the door and went looking for the benadryl. Couldn't find it (but I was a little flustered at this point) and went back out to bring the kids inside and noticed Kaylee's lip was swollen. Tried looking for my cell phone that I had left at the house but couldn't find it.
Drove over to the neighbors to see if they could watch Connor while I took Kaylee to the ER- they weren't home. Both kids were fast asleep and my heart was racing. I had no way of calling anyone..including BJ.
Ran into the garage and carried the stroller through the house (since the garage wouldn't open) and drove quickly to the ER. Tried putting Connor in the stroller without waking up but that didn't work. Finally got to the ER.
Kaylee still dressed in her dance outfit was checked out and they determined she had a reaction and wanted to give her benadryl and a steroid to help with the swelling in her throat. 30 minutes after we got there- they finally administered it- but by this time she had hives all over and was itching like crazy. They recommended we go to an allergist after going home.
Since Kaylee had already seen an allergist we called him and scheduled an appointment. Since I had the TRIO bar with me we were able to check all the ingredients to see what she was allergic to.
Her scratch test went crazy and produced a lot of results. Kaylee was soooo brave and didn't once itch her back. She looked at me and said, "mom it itches. It is hard not touching it". I was so proud of her.
The following were her results:
Almonds.......2/10+
Brazil nuts....10/25+
Cashews.....15/35+
Hazel/Fibert....7/30+
Pistachio.....15/30+
Negative for: Pecan, Walnut (black), Mustard seed, Poppyseed, Sesame seed, and sunflower seed.
So a lot of tree nuts. We have since had a smaller reaction they didn't include any of these items so we know she is allergic to something else we are unaware of as well. We carry benadryl and an epi pen wherever we go know. The TRIO bar had 3 out of the 5 nuts she is allergic to. We are so grateful we figured this out while she is young so she can be trained to stay away from it and now we are prepared with the necessary supplies if she does have another bad reaction.





Post a Comment