12 years ago
I LOVE being home and would be happy as can be being a stay at home mom forever. However, during that 6 month time without a job I started looking into what I needed to do to keep my RN license active. After reading through my patriarchal blessing and a few prayers, I felt that I needed to have a part time or PRN job instead of just doing the education hours online. It was a difficult decision and not one I took lightly. So after deciding this- I started to look around. I was very picky. I only applied for jobs that were most convenient for me and my family. I didn't want to have to rely on state daycare (not that those that do this are bad- it just wasn't for me), and knew it would be hard to find someone I knew that was willing to take both of my kids that already didn't have kids of their own to take care of. I don't mind asking someone to watch Kaylee and Connor every once in awhile but I just would rather it be BJ watching them- so they can get some one-on-one time with him. Daddy time is always a good time! :)
After searching I came across a Clinical Instructor job for C.N.A's on ldsjobs.org. It didn't say the hours online but stated it was a 7 week job and was Part-time/PRN so I applied. I applied on a Thursday and hadn't heard from anyone so I called on Monday to verify they got my Resume. Mike was who I spoke to and to my surprise he had not received my Resume through his e-mail. It was blocked for some reason. After talking to him on the phone for a few minutes he told me to go into the Farmington District office to get fingerprinted so I could be ready to start the job in a few weeks. I was so confused and said, "So are we going to have an interview then as well." He said, "No need for a formal interview, just come on in". I went in and HR started asking me for my Social security card and what bank I wanted my money directly deposited to. I said, "I am not even sure if I am hired?" Mike came in right after I said that and said, "You are hired". lol So pretty much the job just fell into my plate. Like I said it is a 7 week job now and then again in April/May if I want to do it again. I am the Clinical Instructor for high school C.N.A's. It is through the Davis School District and this will be the first time they have done this. The C.N.A course is usually done through the Davis Applied Technology College, but they are now changing their criteria to 18 and older, so the Davis School District took over for the high school students. It is actually really nice for them because instead of having to travel to the DATC in Kaysville, most of the schools have a RN that teaches the course right inside the high school building. It is a pretty sweet job. I work at most two times a week. The hours are either 6-10am or 2:30-7:30 M-F with a rare Saturday. I assign all the C.N.A students to C.N.A's at the different facilities (which are all in Bountiful! Sweet!) and then go around and check on them every once in awhile. I then usually pull them off one by one or sometimes two by two to go over some things on their check off list and the rest of the time I usually read or hop on facebook with BJ's I-pad. BJ is amazing and goes into work at 5am on the days I have to work at 2:30 just so he can get his full 8 hours in at work before he comes home to watch the kids. I was really worried about him doing this, but he insisted it was fine since it is for only 7 weeks. He is such an amazing and supportive husband!
SO...while I was doing the Clinical Instructor job at a local care center in Bountiful (Avalon) I ran into a girl that I went to high school with. She is a RN at Avalon. I then ran into a girl I graduated nursing school with that is also working as a RN at Avalon, and actually does the scheduling there. She was just working the evening med pass from 6-10pm once a week. So I told her to hook me up. Just as I had said that the D.O.N (Director of Nursing) walked by, so she introduced us and said, "She is looking for a job". Well the D.O.N told me to write down my availability and bring it to me the next week (mind you- this is my first day working as a Clinical Instructor). Apparently two RN's were going to have surgery and they needed someone to take over for them while they were out. She said, "I can't guarantee you a lot of hours. It would end up being a PRN job." Perfect! I came home and told BJ about it and said how it is a great opportunity but I already have a job and don't need another one right now. But after talking and praying about it- we decided to tell them I could only work weekends and if they still wanted me then I could take it knowing it would only be PRN. Yeah it would be two jobs now, but only for a few weeks and then I would have a pretty sweet PRN RN job that is less than 10 minutes away from my house and a job that I could turn to if BJ lost his job or we had something big come up. So I went in that next Wednesday and gave them my availability. The HR lady had me fill out a new employee packet (again I had not had an official interview) and then said they would call me later. The following Friday they called me in and the D.O.N. didn't ask me any questions except for when could I start and what days do I want to start training! I then started training that following Sunday. Yep it happened that fast! We then payed a $1200 car repair and $100 repair on our garage spring. It couldn't have been better timing. We are just feeling so blessed right now.
I just have to share this as well- because my husband is just more amazing than you will ever understand. So I have been training the last two Sundays for 12 hours during the day and have been missing the kids and BJ soo much. I was really starting to worry about this job taking away too much from my family. I then came home to this:
He made a nurses hat and wrote on there what an amazing Mom, Nurse, and Wife I was; adding quotes from Richard G. Scott and my Patriarchal blessing. He put it on the RAV in our garage so it was the first thing I saw when I got home from my first training day at Avalon. I just started to cry. Can I say it again..I just feel soo blessed. I have a husband and two wonderful kids that I couldn't even describe to you how much I love and appreciate.
Post a Comment