9/24/12 2:14 PM

(0) Comments

I worked too hard...

Beej & Chris

Okay so an update on the nursing jobs. I currently have 3 PRN jobs (well...sorta).

1st: Clinical Instructor: I only do this job twice a year for a few months. It doesn't pay super great but it is SUPER easy and a little extra money just in time for the holidays. PLUS every once in awhile I get to substitute for the high school C.N.A class and that is kind of fun. I am substituting for three days at the end of October so we shall see how that goes..

2nd: Mollen Immunization Clinic: Okay...really this one does not count. This is again a seasonal job and one that I have not been able to do so far with my school and other work schedule. I got $12 to do the training and the call me every weekend to come do flu shots at various different retail locations (Walmart, Sam's club etc..) but I am always doing something when they call. If I didn't have other PRN jobs than I would make this job work because it does pay pretty good and is easy as well. I will probably pick up a shift or two IF I don't get the job I just interviewed for (more on that later)

3rd: Avalon care center. I do the 4 hour shifts 6pm to 10pm once or twice a week. I do some treatments on wounds but mostly pass medications. I mostly work in the Alzheimer's unit because I have a special place in my heart for those residents but occasionally work on the Medicaid rehab hall. I would have been at this job for a year in October but gave my two weeks two weeks ago and am working my last shift tonight.
Avalon started out pretty good...but then we got a new D.O.N....things were going good at that point as well, a few changes but nothing too bad....and THEN we got ANOTHER D.O.N. We had our state and federal evaluation and things didn't go so well. We have had several negative nurses meetings and just overall things weren't going the way I would like them to go. It became a place where I was nervous to work and felt soo rushed to get in and out that I wasn't giving the care I went to nursing school to give. So after talking to BJ we decided it would be best to give my two weeks and I felt really good about it.

I then started looking at different jobs. I found a job that a few friends worked at and loved so I applied there. It is called Pine View Transitional Rehab and is located in South Ogden. This place is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G from the moment you walk in. Their patient load is HALF what I was doing at Avalon and during my interview (yep I interviewed last Thursday) their goals were all the exact same goals I had. It just felt right. The interview went well I think...but this is the first time I have had to wait to hear back so I am kind of nervous. She said if I didn't hear back by Thursday then to call her. So we shall see. But either way. I have learned a lot from the different jobs I have had and learned that I need to ask a lot more questions in my interviews. The next place I work I plan on staying for a looong time. Sure I would love work in a hospital and maybe still go that route but right now I just don't have a babysitter that can watch my kids for 12 hour shifts nor do I want to be away from them that long while they are still so young. So, my thoughts right now is to find a place like Pine View that I can utilize more of my nursing skills (IV's, wound vacs etc..) and when my kids are older and in school then I will go to a hospital.

So....everyone cross your fingers I get a call in the next few days :)
0 Responses to "I worked too hard..."

Post a Comment