12 years ago
Jimmy Bruce Parker
My sweet grandpa Parker was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer about 3 weeks ago. They told him that he would have 3-6 months to live if he didn't seek treatment and about a year if he did. He decided he didn't want to live his last year of life in pain and sick and tired from all the treatments so decided against treatment. He was quickly put on hospice and spent all of his time with family. He knew from the very beginning that he would not be here much longer, and so did the majority of his family. The cancer spread quickly and took my sweet grandpa back to his Heavenly Father just shy of 3 weeks of his diagnosis. I think that was the hardest and easiest part of it all. I am so happy he did not have to suffer long but I just couldn't believe it was all really happening because it happened so fast.
I knew I was going to have a hard time when my grandpa passed away, because I had never really felt super close to him. Being one of 34 grandchildren- it was hard to really get to know him the way I wanted to and always longed for more but didn't work hard enough to get it.
Thankfully when he was in the hospital and received the horrible diagnosis I had the opportunity to go and see him and felt the closest to him I had ever felt. He just talked to me and asked me how I was doing. He asked me things like, "if you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go?" We talked about trips that he went on or wanted to go on. I just felt so much love for him and it hit me really hard that I wouldn't get to have these conversations with him for very much longer and it was hard.
I tried to stay away and give his 9 daughters and 2 sons time with him in these last few weeks, but I just wanted to run there and talk with him some more. I got a few more opportunities to see him but he was getting worse and worse each day. BJ was heading to a camping trip but I just felt like I needed to be there for him on Friday night, so I got a babysitter for the kids and ran over there to find my mom, my grandma and almost all of his daughters in the room with him watching him take his last breaths. They welcomed me with warm arms and let me join them in the room in his final moments of life. I am just so grateful I had that opportunity. I really think I needed that for closer and to cope with the loss.
My grandpa was such an amazing man. One that is very very well known for his genealogical contribution to the church. ha I even remember watching him on the tv late late at night as he talked about something to do with genealogy. I remember thinking that it was really boring to watch but also...how cool is it that that is MY grandpa on the tv.
I am sad that Connor and Kaylee will never know their grandpa but I am grateful for the time I have had with him and will always cherish it. Love you Grandpa Parker!
Marilyn Ison Tenney
My sweet grandpa Parker was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer about 3 weeks ago. They told him that he would have 3-6 months to live if he didn't seek treatment and about a year if he did. He decided he didn't want to live his last year of life in pain and sick and tired from all the treatments so decided against treatment. He was quickly put on hospice and spent all of his time with family. He knew from the very beginning that he would not be here much longer, and so did the majority of his family. The cancer spread quickly and took my sweet grandpa back to his Heavenly Father just shy of 3 weeks of his diagnosis. I think that was the hardest and easiest part of it all. I am so happy he did not have to suffer long but I just couldn't believe it was all really happening because it happened so fast.I knew I was going to have a hard time when my grandpa passed away, because I had never really felt super close to him. Being one of 34 grandchildren- it was hard to really get to know him the way I wanted to and always longed for more but didn't work hard enough to get it.
Thankfully when he was in the hospital and received the horrible diagnosis I had the opportunity to go and see him and felt the closest to him I had ever felt. He just talked to me and asked me how I was doing. He asked me things like, "if you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go?" We talked about trips that he went on or wanted to go on. I just felt so much love for him and it hit me really hard that I wouldn't get to have these conversations with him for very much longer and it was hard.
I tried to stay away and give his 9 daughters and 2 sons time with him in these last few weeks, but I just wanted to run there and talk with him some more. I got a few more opportunities to see him but he was getting worse and worse each day. BJ was heading to a camping trip but I just felt like I needed to be there for him on Friday night, so I got a babysitter for the kids and ran over there to find my mom, my grandma and almost all of his daughters in the room with him watching him take his last breaths. They welcomed me with warm arms and let me join them in the room in his final moments of life. I am just so grateful I had that opportunity. I really think I needed that for closer and to cope with the loss.
My grandpa was such an amazing man. One that is very very well known for his genealogical contribution to the church. ha I even remember watching him on the tv late late at night as he talked about something to do with genealogy. I remember thinking that it was really boring to watch but also...how cool is it that that is MY grandpa on the tv.
I am sad that Connor and Kaylee will never know their grandpa but I am grateful for the time I have had with him and will always cherish it. Love you Grandpa Parker!
Marilyn Ison Tenney

BJ's sweet and adorable Grandma Tenney was diagnosed with a brain tumor a few months ago which continued to progress until it took her life on Aug. 25th. I have only known grandma for the past 4 years but I can tell you that you don't have to know grandma for very long to know how amazing she was. She was always so kind and welcoming to me anytime I was around her. Grandma was absolutely amazing with kids and just loved to be around them all the time. I think if she had it her way she would have a baby in her arms at all times. That just shows you what a tender heart she had. Grandma lived in the basement of BJ's parents house with BJ's aunt Rhetta. One more thing that I will always remember about Grandma Tenney is the fact that she ALWAYS had a smile on her face. She was a very positive and patient person who taught her 8 children to be the same way. I tell this to BJ all the time, but BJ's dad and all of his siblings are all the same way....very very kind, happy people that are always wearing a smile and so layed back and concerned about everyone else around them, so it was obvious what great parents they had. We love you grandma and will miss you!!
** maybe when BJ gets a chance he can tell you his memories of his grandma **
Post a Comment