9/1/14 9:40 PM

(0) Comments

Canning Season

Beej & Chris

I have been wanting to freeze fresh corn on the cob, but have never gotten around to doing it. This year I was determined and invited my good friend Challae to join me. She brought her sweet kids over and all of the kids helped in "shucking" the corn.
I picked 6 dozen ears of corn for me and Challae got 2 dozen. We weren't sure how much a dozen would make so this was a good "test" year. 2 dozen ears of corn ended up making 3 1/2 bags of 4 cups of corn (if that makes sense).


The kids were LOVING the corn. I am pretty sure they ate at least a dozen themselves ha ha



A picture of 2 dozen ears of corn all bagged and ready to freeze.

I found this cool trick online that suggested using a bundt pan to help cut the corn. I also used my electric knife to get it off the cob. It worked out really good.

Connor was a little stinker while I was working on the corn. He kept sneaking a cob and would eat a few bites and then hide it and grab another one. We found around 5 cobs that had a few bites on it while I was freezing the corn, I then found another cob in his bed later that day! Good thing he is a cute stinker.
And since we are talking about canning, I had to include our canning session that we did at my parents house this year over Labor day. This year BJ took the kids to the Day family reunion with his brother JC and his son Light while I went to my parents and worked on canning salsa and chili sauce. Saturday went well- it was exhausting, but I felt pretty good. I would have some braxton hicks contractions that made me stop and relax a few times, but overall I felt pretty good. I was supposed to work the following Sunday 6-2pm, but when I got home around 10pm I was SO SO sick. I couldn't remember the last time I was so sick. I luckily got a nurse to cover 6-10 so I could sleep a little, I then went in at 10am till 2pm. I was still a little sick but it was so much better than it was the night before. By the time I got off work the kids and BJ were home :D We then all relaxed that Sunday night so we could obtain energy to finish canning on Monday.

Monday is when we did the following picture (Tomato Juice, Jalapenos, Jalapeno Jelly)
BJ and Grandpa Scott do a lot of lifting when canning, so they both got in the hot tub to try to relax their backs a little. I had to practically push BJ in the hot tub for him to get in (he felt bad I couldn't get in because I was pregnant), but I was really glad he took time and got in. I could tell both my dad and BJ's backs were sore. I know my moms back hurt as well, and I hope she took time to get in later that night as well. Everyone worked pretty hard that weekend (including my brother Johnathon, sister in law Kierston, and my sister Angela).
The kids were totally worn out after our long labor day weekend



0 Responses to "Canning Season "

Post a Comment