12 years ago
After we miscarried, I started researching parotid tumor's and it seemed to explain the lump in the back of my ear. The strange thing was; those type of tumor's don't cause pain at all. So the "jaw pain" I was feeling, was a tender mercy because it lead me to find out about the tumor.
Needless to say I went and saw the ENT. I stupidly went without my husband and took my daughter with me. He knew exactly what it was the moment he felt it. No MRI was needed. When he explained that it was a tumor and we would need to remove it I was numb. I tried to keep my emotions to myself and process what he was saying to me. He explained that the surgery is pretty invasive because where the tumor was located it was surrounded by nerves. He told me things like:
8% chance of temporary paralysis to face/ear
3% chance of permanent paralysis to face/ear
20% chance the tumor will reoccur (and if they had to perform the surgery again, the chance of paralysis would drastically increase in the second surgery)
40% chance of numbness in ear
He told me they would most likely need to put a JP drain in for a few days following surgery, but that I could go home the same day as the surgery. I would just need to go back to get the drain and stitches removed.
It was all very scary. He said most often these tumors are not cancerous, especially at my age. He explained that the tumors are hard to find as they don't cause any symptoms. Usually the people who have cancer in them are older, as the tumor has been there for awhile. He did say there is a more increase chance of it turning cancerous over the year.
BJ and I had to make the decision to find out if we wanted to go ahead with the surgery at this time. We both fasted and prayed for peace. While I was at Women's Conference April 29th, 2016 with my cousins we had an amazing talk by Hilary Weeks who gave me the answer I needed. She shared a story of her friend who had a surgery very similar to mine, but she ended up with having paralysis on half of her face. She talked about how despite her friend having paralysis, she kept working hard at strengthening her muscles so she could smile. She wanted more than everything to be able to smile again. I was in tears during this talk. It was exactly my fear, but hearing how amazing this women was and that she could get through it made me realize I could too.
We ended up deciding to wait to get the surgery done until after our vacation we had already planned to Disneyland. We had planned the vacation after we found out we miscarried. I knew I didn't want to be riding the rides with a painful scar. So we pushed it back, and the next date he had wasn't until July 6th. I then of course broke my foot at the end of May ha ha. Oh what a summer it was.
It was hard to wait so long for the surgery, as the surgery was getting closer (July 6th) I made the mistake of looking online and researching the surgery, risks, and recovery time which of course made me nervous again. I was trying hard to stay positive and remember that feeling of peace but it was definitely hard sometimes.
July 6th, 2016 Was the surgery date. I remember them wheeling me down to the OR and I had to wait for a bit out in the waiting room. I was really nervous because I had reacted to the anesthesia twice before; with my most recent surgery on my foot. But the nurses/surgeon were great and helped to calm my fears.
Ok so this is NoT my most flattering picture ha ha. I posted this on facebook shortly after the surgery:
"I wanted to thank everyone for their prayers and fasts on our behalf. We felt so much comfort and I know it was because of all of you! The surgeon said things couldn't have gone any better. He didn't even have to put a drain in!! Stitches come out on Monday. I have numbness in the ear but that's it. They sent the tumor for biopsy and I won't hear back till Monday or so; but I feel really really good about it all. These past few months have been rough but I'm finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks again for all your help. Love you family/friends!"
The kids were really concerned about me, and checked on me often.
Ashlynn kept me smiling despite the pain with recovery
I had to wear this gauze pad for a few days after, and man did I look sexy ;)
July 8th, 2016
This was posted on my facebook
"Today has been a rough day. Recovery was a lot harder than I anticipated. I am more swollen and tender today than yesterday. It hurts to swallow, talk, and eat.
July 11, 2016
Got my stitches out today and got my results. No cancer for this girl!
Despite the difficult road. We slowly inched our way through the summer with all the medical bills pilling up. Grateful for all the friends, family, and my husband/kids who helped keep me positive through this difficult time. So glad things turned out the way they did and we didn't have to deal with cancer on top of it all.
Post a Comment