12 years ago

***************************BEWARE LONG POST************************************


I figured I better document the arrival of our beautiful daughter Kaylee Joy now while the details are still somewhat fresh in my mind.
At our 39 week doctors appointment (Wednesday Feb 18 th) the doctor checked me and I was dilated to a 3, 90% effaced and at a +1 station. Since I hadn't progressed significantly we decided to plan for an induction in case she decided not to come by my due date. The doctor gave us a choice and told us we could do it that coming Friday or the following Monday. I really wanted to have Kaylee sooner than later so we told the doctor to plan on Friday morning (the day before my due date). After talking about our decision of being induced Friday, BJ and I both decided that even though it may be a very long weekend that we wanted to wait till Monday so she had more of a chance to come on her own.
Well, that night I started having some strong contractions that were occurring every 10 minutes for about an hour. Just as I was about to wake BJ up to have him help me time them and possibly prepare to go to the hospital, they slowed down and became very inconsistent. Ugh so frustrating.
I woke up and took BJ to the train the next morning at 6:40am and came back to get some sleep. Unfortunately one of the neighbors dogs was going CRAZY and kept waking me up. So I finally got up and decided to get some things done to prepare for our baby girls arrival. I ended up taking our new car to get its emissions done (cause the place where we bought the car forgot to do it. They paid for it to be done but I had to take it in). I got to Burt Brothers for the emissions around noon and waited for about 30 minutes for the car. I was having some contractions on and off but nothing significant. I drove around for a bit cause I didn't wanna go home yet :) and finally ended up picking up some subway and headed home. Got home about 1:00pm and started eating my lunch on the couch. At1:20pm I felt like I had just peed my pants and went to the bathroom. It was a small amount but enough that I had to change clothes. I thought to myself that was weird. I mean you have discharge with pregnancy but that was more than usual. After changing my clothes I was putting away my food in the kitchen when it happened again. I felt it coming so I quickly took my pants off and stood in the middle of the kitchen floor leaking this gucky stuff. LOL I grabbed a paper towel and started cleaning up my mess and as soon as I stood up, I made another mess. At this point I knew this was something other than regular discharge and called BJ. I called him twice with no answer. So I finally texted him "BJ- I think my water just broke". He finally called me back and said "what? you think? Should I come home? Should I have someone drive me or should I catch the train?" I told him that I think he should come home but that I am not having any contractions right now so he could hop on the train but that I probably couldn't come get him and he would have to walk home from the train station. He quickly got off the phone and headed to the train station.
In the meantime I am trying to make it up the stairs to get a pad without leaking all over the carpet. LOL I actually was laughing to myself. I mean I wasn't having contractions and it was kind of funny trying to walk around without making a mess. I grabbed our bags and some last minute things for the hospital and then sat on the couch (I was exhausted from not sleeping very much the night before). I then get a phone call from BJ. He said, "K- I am on the Internet. And it says you need to sit down and relax. Count the babies kicks and ponder your thoughts and feelings". Can I just say I LOVE my husband! :) He is soo cute! BJ finally got home around 2:30pm and we headed off to the hospital. The nurse did the nitrazine test (where they use nitrazine paper to test for amniotic fluid to see if my water had broke and sure enough the test strip came back blue indicating a positive result). The nurse checked me and told me I was dilated to a 3, 50% effaced and at a 0 station (lol totally different than what my doctor had told me....I am thinking the nurse didn't know what she was talking about). They admitted me around 3:00 pm and said the doctor wanted me to start pitocin now. I asked if we could walk around some and try to let me body do the work without the help of the pit. They said ok but that my doctor was going to be unavailable from 9pm till midnight. BJ and I decided to get up and go walking at 3:15pm. We walked around for about an hour. The contractions were getting a little bit more intense but nothing too bad at all.
In the meantime I am trying to make it up the stairs to get a pad without leaking all over the carpet. LOL I actually was laughing to myself. I mean I wasn't having contractions and it was kind of funny trying to walk around without making a mess. I grabbed our bags and some last minute things for the hospital and then sat on the couch (I was exhausted from not sleeping very much the night before). I then get a phone call from BJ. He said, "K- I am on the Internet. And it says you need to sit down and relax. Count the babies kicks and ponder your thoughts and feelings". Can I just say I LOVE my husband! :) He is soo cute! BJ finally got home around 2:30pm and we headed off to the hospital. The nurse did the nitrazine test (where they use nitrazine paper to test for amniotic fluid to see if my water had broke and sure enough the test strip came back blue indicating a positive result). The nurse checked me and told me I was dilated to a 3, 50% effaced and at a 0 station (lol totally different than what my doctor had told me....I am thinking the nurse didn't know what she was talking about). They admitted me around 3:00 pm and said the doctor wanted me to start pitocin now. I asked if we could walk around some and try to let me body do the work without the help of the pit. They said ok but that my doctor was going to be unavailable from 9pm till midnight. BJ and I decided to get up and go walking at 3:15pm. We walked around for about an hour. The contractions were getting a little bit more intense but nothing too bad at all.
I layed in bed for a bit and relaxed until the nurse came in and checked me again around 5:00pm and said that I was making progress and was now dilated to a 4. She told us we could either walk some more or get pitocin. I waited a little bit but then decided to have them start the pitocin. The nurse started the pitocin at around 6:00pm and said we could increase it every 30 minutes. She told me that if I wanted an epidural to give them a heads up because the anesthesiologist was not in house and would take about 20 minutes to get there. I was doing fine so I decided to wait. 6:30pm came and the contractions were getting a little bit more painful and since I knew I had to wait for her to come I decided to have them call the anesthesiologist. BJ
remembered what we had learned in our pregnancy class and helped me breath through the contractions. The nurse came in and gave me some fentanyl to take the edge off. It made me super dizzy but definitely helped relieve the pain. When the anesthesiologist got there I wasn't too bad off but decided to get the epidural before it gets too bad. She gave me a bolus and immediately my legs went numb. It got so bad that I couldn't move my legs at all. It was horrible! It was nice not being in pain but I hated not having control in my legs. I could not get comfortable and my mom and BJ kept having to help me move from side to side to try to help me. I asked them to call the anesthesiologist to come turn it down. It took her awhile to come so the nurse just turned the epidural completely off. By the time the anesthesiologist got there she turned it down and gave me a small bolus. A little while later I told her to turn it down even more. YEAH I could move my legs and the pain was bearable. At around 1:30 or 2:00 am they checked me and I was dilated to a 10 and anterior lip. We started pushing at around 2:30 am. The epidural had worn off a lot but I liked being able to feel the contractions and when to push. At 3:18 am Kaylee Joy Tenney was born. The doctor thought she was OP (Occiput posterior) so he used the vacuum to help ease her out. She ended up being faced correctly but was just in a weird position and needed a little help. By the time Kaylee was born the epidural was almost totally worn off. I had complete sensation in my legs but I wasn't inexcruciating pain.







Kaylee didn't cry when she came out. The nurses had to suction her and use a suction cup tool that they patted on her back to help get the gunk out of her lungs. They gave her some oxygen and had to bag her for a little bit to help her breath. She let out two small whimper cries and then opened her eyes wide and just stared around at everyone. I was overcome with love immediately! BJ and I both had tears in our eyes coming to the realization that this was our baby and that she made it here safe and sound. Kaylee was beautiful from the very beginning and just gets cuter and cuter every day!
(Daddy holding Kaylee for the first time)
(We are parents!!!!)
(The feeling I had in this picture made the past 9 months all worth it!)
(Look at all that hair- isn't she beautiful)
(Thank goodness for modern medicine)
(Kaylee was sooo strong! While the nurses were weighing her she started pulling herself up and hung onto the edge. She holds her head up all the time! I am going to have to post a little video of when the nurses bathed her, they set her in the little tub and she grabbed onto the sides and held sooo tightly as if to say "dont drop me...dont drop me!" It was soo cute. )
Post a Comment