12 years ago
This week we talked about breastfeeding. Our teacher is a "Lactation consult" and is really really good at what she does! I ended up staying after to ask her even more questions and made BJ late for basketball (he was soo patient and understanding. THANKS again BJ). There is soooo much to learn about breastfeeding. I kinda wish we would have taken a breastfeeding class as well. She teaches one on top of this class we are in and goes more into depth. For all of you that have thought about taking a pregnancy class- DO IT! Even if it is just to find out about breastfeeding! ANYWAY.........
Quick warning: I spent the last year in a half in nursing school where we talked about everything. We talked about gross wounds or diseases while we ate our lunch like it was no big deal. Not to mention being in the medical field- some things just dont phase you anymore. SO- that being said. SKIP this if you are a guy or a girl that doesn't want to read about breastfeeding in detail :)
Here is a lovely picture of the "breasts" that we got to practice feeding with. :) Neat huh! We learned about all the different ways to hold a baby and what the best way to keep your milk supply up. So I was not going to buy a breast pump at first, but then decided to buy a cheap small one to have just in case. BUT our teacher recommended buying a pump and told us to use it from the very beginning. She said that the baby usually just eats from one breast and if he/she gets a good latch then they will fill up. Sometimes in the beginning they will go to the other breast for "desert" or more foremilk just to top them off. SO she told us to keep our milk supply up it is good to breast feed on one side and pump the other side and freeze the milk. She doesn't recommend feeding the breast milk from the bottle for at least 4 weeks so the baby doesn't get lazy and not want to latch on anymore. It was really interesting and I felt like I learned a lot. I wont bore you will all the details that
she told us. But I did have a question for all you experienced breast feeders out there. Our teacher recommended buying a "Medela" brand breast pump because the motor will last and make it worth the money. Anybody buy a Medela and how did you like it? There are also so many different kinds of Medela's out there. Any other recommendations out there? Would love to hear what everyone thinks!!!
she told us. But I did have a question for all you experienced breast feeders out there. Our teacher recommended buying a "Medela" brand breast pump because the motor will last and make it worth the money. Anybody buy a Medela and how did you like it? There are also so many different kinds of Medela's out there. Any other recommendations out there? Would love to hear what everyone thinks!!! 

Oh and this is a "ticket to breastfeed in public". It has Utah's law about breastfeeding in public. We talked about how in the United States it is still controversial to breastfeed in public. Where in Italy, BJ would be teaching someone from his mission and they would just whip out their breast like it was no big deal. I dont plan on doing that by all means. But I thought this ticket was funny and informative :)
Post a Comment