12 years ago
Just got back from the doctors office and feeling kind of down. Apparently I tested positive for Group B Strep so I will need to get an antibiotic at least 4 hours before giving birth and then every 4 hours until I have the baby. It may not seem like a big deal to some, but BJ and I had just talked about our "dream birth" after our Lamaze class this last Tuesday and had decided to stay at home as long as possible before going into the hospital. After finding out I am positive for Group B Strep I have so many concerns and worries.
- It obviously varies with each person and each pregnancy, but your second birth tends to be about 1/2 as long as your first. Since my labor with Kaylee was 10 1/2 hours long that would mean this labor could be in the 5 hour range which doesn't give me very long at all before I need to be hooked up to an IV getting my antibiotic. (My OB said they could run the antibiotic in about 1/2 hour but sometimes the Penicillin burns so going slower is better).
- At our Lamaze class they told us that since my water broke with my first pregnancy that I have a 50% chance of my water breaking again with this pregnancy. If my water breaks we will just go straight in and get the antibiotic asap. But if my water doesn't break I am just concerned about when to go into the hospital. Before finding out I was positive for Group B Strep as I stated above, we planned on staying home for a while. Now- I don't know when to go in. With Kaylee even after my water broke, it took a good hour 1/2 before contractions even started and then another little bit before it was consistent and somewhat painful. Not to mention I have been feeling braxton hicks contractions a ton with this pregnancy and some of it is pretty uncomfortable. So how will I know when to go in? How long is my labor going to be? Oh- I wish I knew those questions because then I could just stay home until I absolutely had to go in!
The reasons why I want to stay home for a while before going to the hospital is....
- I am so much more comfortable in my own home.
- I can eat and drink and take a bath whenever I want
- If I come into the hospital dilated to a 7 and doing good with my Lamaze techniques then the nurses will see how well I am doing and not continue to question me or push for an epidural.
- I am worried about being able to move around and deal with the pain while being hooked up to an IV for fluids and for my antibiotic.
- Walking around the hospital and having the nurses look at me as I pass their desk a million times or saying things like, "keep it up- you are doing good" or "you are going around again?" is just distracting and makes me want to stay in my room. I know they mean well but I am just a worrier and I will just be worried how distracting I am to them or how annoying it must be to them to have us walk by them over and over again (this is how I felt as I walked around at Lakeview while laboring with Kaylee).
Then there is the chance that I will develop thrush from the antibiotics causing pain as I try to breastfeed. I am planning on taking a probiotic or at least some yogurt a few days before my due date to help prevent that but who really knows when I will have this baby.
Ugh I am just frustrated. Here is to hoping my water breaks at home again and that my nurses are understanding, and that I get there in time to get my antibiotic but don't feel restricted with my IV.
Post a Comment