8/8/11 10:40 AM

(1) Comments

Life with two kids under the age of 2

Beej & Chris

I don't even know where to begin. I get this question a lot "How is it having two kids?" My response has been, "I have my good days and my bad days". Whenever you have a baby, life changes and you have to form a new normal. We are still trying to figure out our "new normal" but slowly things are becoming easier yet more difficult. Make sense? As any parent knows, one minute things are amazingly wonderful and the next- you wonder how you are going to make it through the day alive.

Last night after I dropped BJ off to the airport (he is in New York for a work conference), I headed to my parents house with the kids. We had a fun time, and I took advantage of having another adult present to watch Connor and got Kaylee in the bath while I was there. I got both Kaylee and Connor in their pajamas before we left making things really easy for when I got home. Kaylee and I sang nursery ryhmes all the way home. I carried sleeping Connor upstairs into my bedroom and then got Kaylee out of the car to get her in bed as well. We still follow the same routine. We read 3 books while she drinks her warm milk, brush teeth, say prayers and then I turn on her primary music and tell her "night night". She gave me a hug and kiss and said my new favorite phrase "I wuv you". Kaylee went right to sleep and Connor stayed asleep until midnight. Life was good. These are the moments I think- ok I got this.

And then this morning happened. Connor was up with gas pains a lot during the night and it continued into this morning. Kaylee woke up with her pajamas off (this is her new discovery- taking her clothes off) and crying because she can't get her diaper off. I bring her down and feed her breakfast while trying to calm Connor. I finally get Connor asleep and get Kaylee out of her highchair. Before I have time to even clean off the highchair tray- Kaylee is poking Connor, which of course wakes him up and he starts screaming. I mean who likes to wake up from someone poking you? Kaylee decided yelling looked like fun and started to do it herself and then the phone rings, a neighbor asks if she can stop by within the next hour. Ha- I am not even dressed and the house is a mess!

And then comes nap time- my saving grace. Connor is now asleep in his swing and Kaylee is upstairs asleep in her crib. As I am looking at Connor sound asleep I think to myself....even though it is hard to get everything done that I want to, I am exhausted from being up every 2 hours and don't usually eat lunch until 2pm and am hardly ever have time to shower let alone brush my teeth or get dressed...I love being a mom.

Kaylee is talking more and more everyday. Every morning she sits on my lap and we make a plan for the day together. It usually goes like this
Me: What should we do today?
Kaylee: (puts her finger on her lips) and says, "ummmm"
Me: Should we eat breakfast?
Kaylee: Yep
Me: And then we can play with our toys.
Kaylee: Yep
Me: and then we can eat lunch and then you will go down for naps.
Kaylee: Yep
Me: And then we will play some more. Does that sound good to you?
Kaylee: Yep.

Kaylee makes me smile several times a day and is my best friend.


Connor

Likes to eat every 2 hours and has his moments of being colicky that have been really difficult, but he is also the best nurser and gives the biggest grins I have ever seen on a newborn. He has been smiling since he was just a few weeks old and continues to smile several times a day.

He enjoys being outside and is definitely a binky boy. He is very strong and looks and acts like his is several months old rather than 5 weeks old. Connor boy loves to cuddle and would be in heaven if I carried him around with me all day long. His favorite place to sleep is on his stomach on mom or dads chest.
1 Response to "Life with two kids under the age of 2"
Julie said :
August 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM
Kristi-just wanted to let you know how fun your blog is-I always get a laugh and it is way special how much you like being a mom!

Post a Comment