10/9/12 10:39 AM

(1) Comments

On the Team

Beej & Chris

I just watched the LDS Press Conference in regards to the new missionary service age requirements (Men 18yrs and Women 19yrs) and was filled with tears as I listened to a comment by Elder Holland:

"Let me also say with love and some emotion, that there are those who's health or limitations or other personal circumstances make it either unwise or impossible for them to have this experience in this rigorous and demanding work. These cases break our hearts, but the Lord and the church honor the intent of the heart and as I recently said in the General Conference; these are also on the team. Even as we honorable excuse these from traditional full time missionary service".

For those of you that don't know I served a mission in Rapid City, South Dakota for a short 6 1/2 months when I was sent home for knee problems that unfortunately even after seeing several doctors were not improved on the mission field. I tried several different treatments including knee braces, steroids, and many different anti-inflammatory medications...but it came to a point that I was feeling like I was dragging my companions down and it was really difficult. I would try to walk and do all that we needed to to the point of tears, so leaving the mission truly felt like a failure despite all that my mission president and family and friends had told me. I then served a service mission for a year to "finish" my mission in hopes of helping me with this void. But for the longest time I have always wished I could have figured things out sooner with my knees and been able to finish that experience to the full extent. Hearing the quote by Elder Holland of "being on the team" was such a good reminder that despite the fact that I didn't get to finish my mission I am still part of the team and am so very grateful for the experience I did have. I know the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only true church and I am so grateful for the many experiences I have felt through the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I am excited for my little brother and the many other teenagers out there getting ready to serve a full-time mission. It is definitely an experience of a lifetime. I know I will always think back and wish I had the opportunity to have the full 18 month experience on my mission, but like I said before I am just so grateful for the experience I did have and know that I did my best and I fulfilled all that the Lord needed me to fulfill, and that is all that matters.
1 Response to "On the Team"
the laytons. said :
October 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM
you are amazing. i always thought i'd go on a mission but turns out i met graeme instead! i am so excited for the girls that get to go now at 19! i would have gone at 19 in a heart beat! my bro in law gets to go next year now! crazy! :) i can't wait to go with my hubby. i'm so glad you went & you did what you could. what more could you ask for? :)

Post a Comment