2/14/11 9:10 AM

(1) Comments

Love One Another

Beej & Chris

Yesterday my mom and I along with 3 other sisters sang in sacrament meeting. I was soprano and my mom was alto and the 3 other girls were in a trio singing a separate song that we meshed with "Love one Another" so they each sang soprano, alto, and second (make sense?)

My mom and I had to sing the first part just the two of us. Yesterday ended up being a missionary homecoming so there was a TON of people there.

We had at least 5 practices and I was feeling pretty good. It was a simple song and one that I knew. The practices were sounding good and I was singing confident and on key.

And then the performance came.....

The speaker before started talking and my heart just started racing. I knew after she was done we were going to go sing. I kept telling myself "there is nothing to be nervous about. You know this song. Just go sing it". My stomach started to hurt and my nerves were really getting to me.

The speaker finished her talk and it was our time to get up and sing. I couldn't look at anyone in the crowd except for BJ and Kaylee. We started the song and my leg started to shake. I started singing but I was quiet and not confident like I was in practice. My voice was weak and I was taking breaths after every couple words. Then the lip started to quiver. How can you sing when your lip is quivering??!! I am trying to sing with that lip!

Needless to say the song didn't go as I had planned or expected it to go. I LOVE music and I really do enjoy singing. I took voice lessons in high school and really worked on improving my singing. I don't have one of those amazing voices that when you hear them you just get the chills. But I have a simple voice that can hit the notes and it sounds pretty. But that is not what happened yesterday. Why do we get sooo nervous. I didn't want to get nervous. I kept telling myself not to get nervous but sure enough I stand up at the podium and totally lose it.

I was just a little disappointed about the nerves hitting me so hard. I wanted people to hear me sing, hear me sing how I know how to sing. Not that nervous blah. Even though I was disappointed in my performance I am glad I got up and did it. I got to sing with my mom who I love. I got to spend a lot of time with her practicing and getting ready for the performance. And even better- I got to spend time with BJ, Kaylee and my family all day long yesterday! What could be better? :)
1 Response to "Love One Another"
momscott said :
February 14, 2011 at 9:47 AM
Singing in church, is kind of like bearing your testimony. You know how you get nervous when you first start bearing your testimony, but the more you do it, the easier it becomes. So, I guess you just need to sing more often? I know how you felt.....I was right along with you! You did a wonderful job!

Post a Comment